RACCOLTA DELLE PRINCIPALI FONTANE DELL'INCLITTA CITTA DI ROMA
Rome: G.B. de Rossi, 1647. (But not before 1651). 4to., engraved title page and 44 engraved plates, all mounted on strong laid paper and bound in a folio album of 19th century half blue calf, marbled boards, with the book plate and signature of P. Morey, architect, and the round library stamp of the Contessa Ana Laetitia Pecci-Blunt on the front pastedown, and the book plates of John and Michael Bury on the rear pastedown Estimate £1,000-1,500 + fees Note:
Berlin Katalogue 3602. The original edition of Parasacchi's collection of engravings is here enlarged by 24 new plates engraved by Felice, except for one of the fountain of the Four Rivers in the Piazza Navona which is engraved by Pierre Miotte. As this latter fountain was not completed until 1651, this date provides a "terminus post quem" for the printing of this edition. The new plates by Felice are easily distinguished from Parasacchi's originals, as they are executed in a much more textured style and often include figures engaged in various games and pastimes.
The Contessa Ana Laetitia Pecci-Blunt (1885-1971), collector, gallerist, philanthropist and patron of the arts, lived in Paris and Rome and numbered Salvador Dali, Cocteau, Paul Valéry, Francis Poulenc and Paul Claudel amongst her acquaintance. Her collection focused on prints, published works, drawings and paintings thematically focused upon the city of Rome. After her death in 1971, she donated her collection of drawings, watercolours, and paintings to the Museo di Roma, while her collection of prints and published works were sold and dispersed.