MUGHAL, GUJARAT, MOTHER-OF-PEARL EWER
the ewer of flared cylindrical form with a curved spout and applied gilt metal loop handle with foliate thumbpiece, raised on a spreading circular foot, the wood underbody applied with mother-of-pearl panels in an imbricated scale pattern
Lord Curzon of Kedelston, Viceroy of India, via his daughter Lady Cynthia Curzon who later married Sir Oswald Mosley, then to her grandson Rupert Forbes Adam and now offered for sale by his direct family.
Gujarat, situated on the Northwest coast of India, was a prosperous and wealthy region that rose to prominence under the influence of the Mughal Empire. Its ports were busy centres of export, and during the 17th century the Portuguese, Dutch, French and English all established bases in the region to capitalise on the lucrative trade in luxury goods.
Mother-of-pearl wares from Gujarat were being exported to Europe in the early part of the 16th century through the 17th century and were frequently given European made mounts. Based on a European metalware shapes, examples of these highly desirable wares like the present lot can be found in the inventories of royal collections of that period: one is recorded being given to Henry VIII by Oliver Cromwell in 1534 as a New Year's gift.
Sold for £70,850 (buyer's premium included)